Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Fifty Lashes and a Boilerplate Romance
Rod Lindsey If you've considered reading Fifty Shades of Grey for the hot sex you've heard about you will not be disappointed – assuming you can swallow the childlike, angst-driven, last-virgin-on-Earth-meets-handsomest-and-richest-man-on-Earth boilerplate Romance plot the sex is served on. The sex alone may be worth it, but I found myself wondering if E.L. James is actually a collaboration because the romance and sex scenes read to me as if written by two different hands.

It's interesting this series has taken off the way it has within the mainstream, making big money. I recall The Story of O, a vastly more believable BDSM story, was considered obscene and banned from publicity when it was published in the late fifties.  Yes...times do change.

1 comment:

  1. Haven't read it yet but I have friends who loved it and ones who despised it for the reasons you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete